Whether you’ve just recently opened a venue or been in the trade for years, it’s always good to be aware of upcoming events to prepare for busier days.
After all, it’s virtually impossible to keep tabs on everything that’s coming up. So, we’re here to help! Read on to discover the busiest trading days that restaurant and pub owners need to know about...
Busiest trading days to come
August Bank Holiday Weekend
We have a long bank holiday weekend to look forward to at the end of this month! This usually means that people tend to go out and treat themselves to a few refreshments or a meal with loved ones.
The Sumer bank holiday will take place on the 29th of August, which falls on a Monday this year. It’s also the last bank holiday we have in the UK before Christmas, so you’ll likely see your regulars and new faces coming out to enjoy the occasion.
International Week of Happiness at Work 2022
International Week of Happiness at Work promotes a happy work life, celebrated from the 20th of September till the 26th of September this year.
You may see more work parties book into your establishment, whether that’s for a meal or a few drinks.
National Brunch Weekend 2022
National Brunch Weekend takes place on the 2nd of October this year, so you’ll likely see your restaurant or pub welcoming tables looking to enjoy a delicious brunch!
The national event has been celebrated by many over the last decade, and it aims to promote loved ones getting together to enjoy great food - usually in the form of a cheese toastie. So, if you don’t have this on the menu - you may want to consider adding it!
Mischief Night 2022
Mischief Night is celebrated on the 30th of October in the UK, the night before Halloween.
Mischief Night can be hit or miss for restaurants and pubs, depending on your clientele. For example, children are (usually) already out trick or treating on Mischief Night, so if your venue usually attracts families, you may see an influx of parents taking their children for a hearty dinner before they set out on their trick or treating adventures.
Or, you may even have customers coming out to start their Halloween celebrations early! Nevertheless, we recommended preparing for busier trading on this day.
Next, we have Halloween on the 31st of October, which may be a busier period for bars, but it’s not uncommon for restaurants to become fully booked on Halloween.
Prepare for a busier evening on Halloween because even if your venue doesn’t attract party goers - you may still attract families looking for something to eat after a few hours of trick or treating with their children!
Guy Fawkes Night 2022 (Bonfire Night)
Guy Fawkes Night (also known as Bonfire Night) is celebrated across the UK on the 5th of November.
Bonfire Night sees many people come out to celebrate, usually in the form of lighting sparklers, watching fireworks, attending a bonfire and eating toffee apples.
However, restaurants and bars can expect busier periods before people venture out and after to keep the celebrations going! After all, Bonfire Night falls on a Saturday - so many people will have the Sunday to relax.
Black Friday Weekend
Black Friday Weekend commences on the 25th of November this year, concluding with Cyber Monday on the 28th.
This weekend focuses on shopping and sales, enticing many to come and shop for bargains.
You may believe Black Friday Weekend won’t influence trading, but it likely will! For example, if you’re close by to shops participating in the occasion, you’ll most likely see many customers pop into your venue for either food or refreshment.
Super Saturday is the last Saturday before Christmas, which is always a busy time for hospitality venues. Trade tends to drop off temporarily after this, as many spend the Christmas period at home surrounded by loved ones.
This year, Super Saturday will take place on the 17th of December, but it may also be worth preparing for Christmas Eve, which falls on the following Saturday. But only if you’re open, of course!
The day after Boxing Day
Generally speaking, Boxing Day usually sees many people taking the day to relax and digest their Christmas Dinner. So, it usually tends to be a quiet day for trading in the UK. However, people will be ready to get back out and about the following day.
So, we’d recommend getting ready for business as usual the day after (27th of December) Boxing Day.
New Year's Eve 2022
Lastly, we have New Year’s Eve, which will undoubtedly be a busy trading day (and night!) for most venue types, so we advise planning accordingly!
New Year’s Eve is incredibly popular in the UK, and you’ll likely see many arrive at your establishment for food and drinks, ready to welcome the new year with loved ones.
It’s not uncommon for venues to make New Year’s Eve a ticketed event, so they can prepare and have an idea of the numbers. We recommend double-checking stock and the number of employees you’ll need on shift to cover the crowds!
We understand that not all hospitality venues will show the same live sports, so we’ve included notable sporting events that are (generally) popular in the UK.
See below for some of the most popular sporting events to come.
Notable August sporting events
- British Grand Prix (5th-7th of August).
- England Premier League (the 2022-2023 season starts on the 6th of August!).
- 2022 Vuelta a España (starts on the 12th).
- Boxing event - Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk 2 (20th).
- F1 Belgium Grand Prix (26th-28th).
- The US Open Tennis Grand Slam (starts on the 29th).
Notable September sporting events
- FIBA Euro Basket 2022 (1st-18th).
- The Hundred Cricket Event (2nd-3rd).
- F1 Dutch Grand Prix (2nd-4th).
- F1 Italian Grand Prix (9th-11th).
- Rugby World Cup Sevens 2022 (9th-11th).
- 2022 Laver Cup London Tennis (23rd-25th).
- 2022 Betfred Super League Grand Final Rugby (24th).
- F1 Singapore Grand Prix (30th-2nd of October).
Notable October sporting events
- The London Marathon 2022 (2nd).
- NFL 2022 London (2nd).
- F1 Japanese Grand Prix (7th-9th).
- NFL 2022 London (9th).
- F1 United States Grand Prix (21st-23rd).
- F1 Mexico Grand Prix (28th-30th).
- FIG World Gymnastics Championships Liverpool 2022 (29th-6th of October).
- NFL 2022 London (30th).
Notable November sporting events
- Women’s Tennis 2022 WTA Finals (6th).
- Rugby Union Autumn Internationals 2022 - various games. (5th).
- Rugby Union Autumn Internationals 2022 England vs Argentina (6th).
- Women’s Tennis 2022 Billie Jean King Cup Finals (8th-13th).
- UK Snooker Championship 2022 (8th-20th).
- F1 Brazil Grand Prix (11th-13th).
- England Premier League - the last matches before the World Cup starts. (12th-26th).
- Rugby Union Autumn Internationals 2022 - various games (12th-13th).
- NFL 2022 Munich (13th).
- F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2022 (18th-20th).
- Fifa World Cup Qatar 2022 (starts on the 21st).
Notable December sporting events
- 2022 Fifa World Cup Qatar - various games up until the 18th.
- 2022 Fifa World Cup Qatar Final (18th).
- England Premier League 2022-2023 (returns after the World Cup games on the 26th).
How to entice customers to visit your venue
If you’re interested in discovering several ways you could potentially draw in new customers to your venue, see below for tips on how to make your restaurant or bar stand out:
- Work on your social media to get the word out.
- Consider putting a few offers on - everyone loves a bargain in the run-up to Christmas!
- Consider seasonal menus to draw people in and make your venue stand out from the competition. For example, for Bonfire Night - why not think about putting toffee apple’s on the menu to fit the theme?
- If you have an outdoor seating space, consider purchasing outdoor heating to ensure your customers remain comfortable throughout the autumn and winter.
- Consider throwing a few events. Think live music or interactive quizzes.
- Does your venue offer comfortable seating? Consider reviewing your layout and determining whether it’s worth revisiting.
- Do you offer function packages? Some venues don’t think of this angle, but it can bring big business.
- If your decor has been the same for a while, it may look or feel slightly outdated. It may be beneficial to consider giving your venue spruce up!
Ensure your venue is ready for busy trading days with Cotswold Teak
We hope you’ve enjoyed reading our article on the busiest upcoming trading days.
At Cotswold Teak, we offer an extensive range of premium garden furniture and durable accessories that are perfect for restaurants and bars - so be sure to browse the rest of our website for more!
If you have any questions or want to know more about our collections, please don’t hesitate to contact a member of our friendly team who will be happy to help with any queries you may have. Call us on 01608 544 825 or email email@example.com.
Shop premium garden furniture at Cotswold Teak today
For more garden furniture information and buying advice, read the Cotswold Teak blog…